Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kentucky Derby

My hubby is always a good sport about going to these events.

Every year, one of my patients has a Kentucky Derby party.  He invites my co-workers and me, along with about 300 other people.  
Fellow nurse Jill with Larry (his tie has little race horses on it). 


My co-worker Cathy
Everyone brings a dish to pass and a list of the horse/s they want to bet on.  The work that my patient goes through for this party never ceases to amaze me.  He has large tents with a big screen TV set up.

Race over...the losers must have gone home.

He hires kids to keep the buffet table going.  The kids take your dish when you arrive and place it on the buffet.  They wash the empty dishes and have them ready to pick up when you leave.  There is a window to place your bets.  (The first year we went, I was surprised to see our son's 6th grade science teacher working the window.)  They have bartenders making mint juleps, along with other refreshments.  And, of course, his wife makes a boatload of derby pie for dessert.

My nephew, Jeff with his wife, Stef and daughter, Makinley

This was the 25th year they have done this, so to celebrate, they had entertainment for after the race--a bluegrass band.  (Two of the band members took my Lamaze class 22 years ago.  I haven't seen them since, so it was nice to hear that everything came out okay with her labor.)  We had a great time.  Unfortunately, I took another one of my patients' advice and bet on horses #2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.  He does it every year and always wins.  It didn't work this year.  Ten hard earned dollars went down the drain.  I must have jinxed him.

There were a number of hats this year, although I don't think baseball hats should count.  Some were cute and others......well, you can judge for yourself.



Our daughter and son's 7th grade English teacher, Katie



 Hmm....this one is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment