Sunday, May 15, 2011

Daughters

I grew up, the youngest child of three, and the only girl.  In essence, I was the "little princess", a position I loved.

 With my brothers and the children of the family we always vacationed with.

Now that I'm an adult, I really wish I had had a sister.  Sisters have a special bond that I don't have with my brothers.  Thankfully, though, I have been blessed with two wonderful daughters.

Anne and Katie

I find the girls are my sounding board, especially when it comes to fashion.  (Katie works for Banana Republic and is going to fashion design school in Boston.  She also picks out the wardrobe for Dylan Dreyer, the meteorologist for Channel 7, the NBC affiliate in Boston.  I'm hoping she'll design clothes for her mama someday.  I also want her to design men's socks that have "navy" or "black" written on the toes so they are easier to sort.)  Whenever the girls are home, I make them come into my closet and help me put outfits together and decide what I should get rid of.  They help me stay up-to-date, although I sometimes have to remind them that I'm not 30 anymore and need to dress my age.

The sweater Katie got me for Christmas

I love the scarf Annie gave me for Mother's Day.

Annie is a talented writer and was a blogger for Wedding Bee.  She, actually, is the one who encouraged me to start a blog.  She continues to give me ideas on what to write about.  She also is a natural at photography.  She has given me inservices on how to use my camera (since I have yet to read the instructions).  She also helps me with technology, whether it's the computer, my phone, or using the DVR.

I wish my girls lived closer.  It is so much fun to spend time with them.  I'm thankful Anne lives within driving distance as we get to see her and her husband about once a month.

Hiking last weekend

Unfortunately, we only see Katie 2-3 times a year.  Last summer, she was home for almost a week and we had a blast kayaking, going to the beach and just hanging out.

Kayaking on the White River

I savor those times.  And I'm really thankful for cell phones.

I love the following quote:

"A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future."  ~Author Unknown



Check out my girls blogs:  craftsandcardigans.blogspot.com
                                      patentleatherandpearls.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Aww, how sweet! And that scarf looks super cute on you, Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Mom!! I wish we lived closer together too.

    ReplyDelete