Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Running




The weather in West Michigan is taking a turn...at least for today. It was 37 degrees (F) and sunny when I started my run today. This is the first time I haven't had to wear gloves or a headband in months.
Since I haven't run in a few weeks, it felt great. I strapped on my iPod and put on my running playlist. The songs have to have the right beat for my pace (which is slow).
The first main street I come to has lots of trees and a few rolling hills. It's scenic, with the occasional views of Mona Lake.

I passed the house with the dog that I feel sorry for. This poor dog is always lying in the driveway, rain or shine, hot or cold, waiting for his master to come home. On occasion, I stop and give it some lovin'.

Today, as with most days, I came across a dead squirrel. (It's the price they pay for being indecisive. They get in the middle of the road and then can't decide which way they should run. Make up your mind, already!)


One summer, there was a dead raccoon on my running route. Every time I passed him, I would tell myself not to look. It never failed--I looked. As time wore on, he began to deteriorate. As his flesh disappeared, his teeth started to show. It looked like he was smiling.

I passed the high school,

waved to a friend who was outside with her grandchildren, and savored the smell of the fresh air.

I love this road in the summer because it's shady and cool.

I like to save running through Lake Harbor Park for last. It's so pretty and serene. It's my reward for hard work.


This little channel goes out to Lake Michigan.

These dunes are popular in the winter for sledding.

On the way home, I came across a deer. I'm always surprised when I see them.

I finally hit the home stretch. Lunch was waiting (well, not exactly waiting. I still had to make it).

Stats:
Distance: 6.2 miles,
Time: 65 minutes (slow, but some of that was used for photo-ops),
Maximum heart rate: 169 bpm
Average heart rate: 156 bpm
Calories burned: 628 (according to my heart rate monitor)


1 comment:

  1. Cute post, Mom! I guess I'm a little spoiled down here... I've been mad because it hasn't gotten above 60 degrees yet. I forgot how long it takes to warm up in MI!

    ReplyDelete