Thursday, April 28, 2011

Germany Relived- Day 2

Our first morning started off interestingly.  Katie had showered the night before, so I hopped in first.  The water kept going from hot to cold and back again.  So I rotated in and out of the water, as it changed temps.  I needed to shave my legs, so I struggled through that with the water situation.  When I finished, I realized I had forgotten to take the safety cap off the razor, so I had to repeat the whole process.  When my husband got in, he had only cold water.  He didn't cope well with it.  Needless to say, we were awake.

The plan for the day was to drive along the Mosel River and stop along the way for various activities--hiking to castles, wine tasting, bike riding and whatever else struck our fancy.  Stop number one was Mozelkern and a short hike to the castle, Burg Eltz.  


It was another beautiful day.  The hike paralleled the Elzbach Creek.  It was wooded and pleasant.


We toured the castle and then hiked back to the car.

The next stop was Cochem for lunch.  We soon found out that water (bottled-didn't know how to ask for tap water) cost about 6 euros, Coke Lite-4 euros, and wine or beer-2 euros.  So you can guess what we opted for.  After checking out the Weingut Rademacher for wine tasting, we headed for the town of Zell.  One of my patients crossed the Mozel River at Zell during WWII, so I told him we would stop and take a few pictures.

My husband was feeling a little sleepy at this point (no doubt from the beer at lunch and the wine), so we stopped for a cappuccino.  By this time, it was late afternoon and we wanted to see Trier, so we opted to take the less scenic autobahn.  My husband loved the no speed limit rule.  Our rental car maxed out at 127 mph.  We arrived at Trier in no time.
This city is reported to be older than Rome.  The city wall was built by Romans without using mortar.

After wandering around for a couple of hours, we had dinner at an Italian restuarant and then headed back to Bacharach.

No comments:

Post a Comment