Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tone Your Bones


As I am nearing menopause, my bone density has become a concern. I especially think about it in the winter, since most of my exercise doesn't require any impact. Since I am a fair weather runner, I stick to the elliptical machine, Nordic Track, and Spinning when there is snow on the ground. I also do strength training two times a week.

I was recently reading that for women to build bone density, strength training has to be done with heavy weight. I tend to do lighter weight and more reps. Also, the degree of impact on bone density depends on three characteristics of the exercise:
  1. Strain magnitude--the amount of force or impact of the exercise (higher in gymnastics and weightlifting.
  2. Strain rate--the rate at which the impact of the exercise is felt (jumping or plyometrics).
  3. Strain frequency--the impact to the bones occurs frequently (running).
So, bottom line, I need to do supplemental exercise during the winter to keep my bone density from decreasing. As a result, I have incorporated the following exercises into my routine:
  1. Jumping Rope
  2. Zumba Dance Class
  3. Jumping Jacks (better yet, jumping jacks in a squatting position--these are killers)
  4. Plyometrics (video with Tony Horton from his P90X series)
  5. Stair Running
The exercises above will help with the spine, legs, and hips but won't do diddly for the wrists. So continue with weight training. Also, vacuuming is actually something that will strengthen the wrist (only the wrist of the arm used to vacuum with, unless you change hands). Not only will you strengthen your bones, you'll have a cleaner house, too--a win-win situation. If only shopping had the same benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment