Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cardio vs. Strength Training


When I first started working out in college, I did nothing but run. I signed up for a 25k race in 1981 and started increasing my miles to train for it. I thought I was in great shape, until I went to an exercise class that was all floor work (i.e. Jane Fonda record--this predates VHS tapes). I couldn't do all the leg lifts, sit-ups, and whatever else was on that record. I even bought leg warmers, but to no avail. Hmm. Maybe I was in shape cardiovascular wise, but I had no muscular endurance. I didn't start strength training until after my second back surgery in 1994 and it has made all the difference.

As we age, we need to increase the percentage of time we spend lifting weights in proportion to the time we spend on cardiovascular training. According to Dr. Kenneth Cooper (Cooper Aerobic Center), we should spend the following amount of time a week on cardio versus strength training:

  • Age forty and younger: 80 percent aerobic, 20 percent strength
  • Ages forty-one to fifty: 70 percent aerobic, 30 percent strength
  • Ages fifty-one to sixty: 60 percent aerobic, 40 percent strength
  • Ages sixty-one and older: 55 percent aerobic, 45 percent strength
So, bottom line, I need to add another day of strength training to my workouts. I think I'll get some new leg warmers to increase my motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment