Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January Doldrums - Project 2


Update on Project 1: I finished dusting and going through the books on the bookcases and donated most of the books to the Goodwill. I dropped those off today, which felt so good. I love getting rid of stuff. The rest of the books that I had weeded out, went to a used bookstore. I had no idea we had one in our town, but last weekend, there was an article about it in the local newspaper. Perfect timing.

Project 2 - Clean and Organize Pantry

Unlike the bookcase project, this only took a couple of hours. It was cold and snowy out--a perfect time to stay in and work.

I took some "before" pictures.

I started at the bottom and worked my way up. I have to say, I was appalled at some of the things I found. I had a homemade bean soup mix that one of my husband's employees had given to us at least 15 years ago. It was a cute idea, but I never made it. And I could never bring myself to throw it away, because I felt bad about doing that. Not today! The best (or worst) item was the corn meal that expired back in 2004. (I guess it's been a while since I made corn muffins.)
The dust on the rims of the baskets was scary. I vacuumed those off. I didn't realize canned goods have such a short shelf life. I found canned green beans and pineapple that had expired a few years ago. I'm going to be honest here. I confess--I decided to keep the green beans and pineapple. I'll open them sometime soon and evaluate the situation then. (I can relate, in a small way, to how those people on "Hoarders" feel. Right now, I can't bring myself to throw those two cans away. But I'll work on it.)

My after pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment