Sunday, January 2, 2011

Almost 54 and Very Sore


A couple of days ago, it was 52 degrees in West Michigan. It had rained all morning, so the snow and ice had melted off the roads. The sun came out around noon and I decided to go for a run outside. I don't do treadmills or ice and snow, so it had been over a month since I had run. No problem. I had a new outfit from Christmas to wear (nothing like new workout clothes for motivation) and some new music on my iPod.

I headed outside and basked in the sunshine. The air smelled so fresh. I ran one of my 6 mile routes and loved (almost) every minute of it. I did some stretching when I got home and went on with my day.

It is now two days later, and I have been so sore from my little trot around the block, that every time I stand or sit, I audibly groan. My calves, quads, and hamstrings have been screaming at me for the past 48 hours. Of course, everyone experiences a little DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness), but this has been excessive. Twenty years ago, this would not be happening to me. Furthermore, I've been finding, lately, that some days my muscles are sore and I can't remember what I've done to deserve it. So the question is this:

Are my muscles more prone to injury as I age?
or
Is my memory so bad that I can't remember when I've exerted myself?

I think I need to change the name of this blog to "Need to Refurbish After Fifty".

2 comments:

  1. I've started groaning when I stand or sit too. I found myself groaning today just turning the driving wheel on my car... still have 2.5 more months, YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It only gets worse, Kim. When I was pregnant with Anne, I'll never forget popping the button off my coat while getting into the car.

    ReplyDelete