Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Zany for Zumba

One of the keys to sticking with an exercise program is doing something that you enjoy. If I were told I had to swim for my workouts, I would drop out before I started because I don't like to swim. You have to get into a cold pool and put your face in the water. On the other hand, I enjoy running, which other people can't stand.
Another key to maintaining an exercise program is avoiding boredom. If you do the same thing over and over, you will get tired of it and quit. I like to do something different everyday. During the winter, I participate in a Zumba class one evening a week, just to add a little something extra to my routine.
If you have never taken a Zumba class, check out the video below. Keep in mind, the class I'm in is mostly middle-aged women. We don't wear shrunken T-shirts, although one of my classmates wears what appears to be a scarf with gold coins attached to it around her hips. She loves any movement that involves hip action, as she jingles when she jiggles. There are times when I can't see the instructor, so I watch my classmates to see what we are supposed to be doing. BIG MISTAKE! Everyone is doing something different. When I first started taking this class, in my mind, I danced just like our instructor. The next day, I decided to practice in front of the mirror in the privacy of my bathroom. What a way to burst my bubble! I looked like Elaine, on Seinfeld, with the little kicks and the thumbs. In actuality, I'm having fun with friends, I'm burning calories, and I'm making my heart a little healthier at the same time. What more could I want?!




No comments:

Post a Comment