Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Don't Feel like It Today

How does one stay motivated to workout? We all have days where we just don't feel like exercising. I find if I put my workout clothes on right away when I get up, I'm too lazy to change out of them without using them. (I workout at home, so at least I don't have to make the decision to get into the car and drive to the gym.) Another easy motivator is to sign up for a race. There are so many out there. In my hometown, my favorite is the Seaway Chronicle Run. It's always held the last weekend of June and there are many options to choose from: a fun walk, a 5k and a 15k race. I always sign up for the 15 k race (9.3 miles) as the route takes you along Lake Michigan. It's not an impossible length, but it's enough that I have to add some miles to my normal workout. My goal is to finish, not to win. (I suppose I could win if everyone else fell down and couldn't get back up.) Running a race is so much fun. You get out with other runners and feel the comradery. People stand along the route and cheer the participants on. Best of all, there is a sense of accomplishment when you've finished, not to mention the snacks waiting just beyond the finish line. If you've never entered a race, I would encourage you to do it. You'll become addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment