Sunday, March 7, 2010

Firsts of Spring


When my children were little, we used to make a poster of "Spring's Firsts" and see who could be the first to spot certain things, i.e. a robin, flower bud, leaves on the trees, etc. Since then, I've added a few more "Spring's Firsts" to my list. I experienced one yesterday--running outside for the first time this year. I know a lot of people run outside throughout the winter, which is amazing to me, since I live in West Michigan. Even more amazing is this guy who runs in shorts all year long. (A few months ago as I was heading to work, with the seat heater on and the heat on high, this same guy was hunched over on the side of the road. I thought he was having a heart attack. I stopped to see if he needed help. As it turns out, he was just cooling down--not a good way to do that). Anyway, since I am a fair weather runner, I always look forward to when the snow melts off the streets and the temperature warms to above 32 degrees. Yesterday was such a day. The sky was blue, the wind was out of the south at 8 miles per hour, and it was 39 degrees. I warmed up on the spinning bike for 15 minutes, stretched and then headed out. I love running on Forest Park Road. It is just what you imagine it to look like--rolling hills lined with trees, and views of Mona Lake. The lake is still iced over, but the ducks are there and soon the boats will be too. It's so easy to get lost in your thoughts with the great views. I ended up running a little over five miles. It felt great to be outside in the sunshine, breathing in the fresh air. Spring is finally here.

2 comments:

  1. I ran outside for the first time in a while yesterday too! I ran around my new apartment complex, there is a lake but that path is a bit flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss running! I have only been running 2 times a week for about 6 miles total. And I end up worrying the entire time that I am hurting the baby.

    ReplyDelete