Saturday, March 6, 2010

Counteracting the Inevitable


As we age, why do we gain weight more easily? I used to work out twice a week for 45 minutes and was able to eat what I wanted and maintained my weight. Then I noticed I had to work out four days a week to do the same. I currently workout six days a week for 60+ minutes, I watch what I eat (sort of), and I'm up ten pounds from when I got married (1982). What gives?
I have done some soul searching and I think I've figured it out. As I've gotten older, I find myself combining trips to other levels in the house. Instead of running something downstairs, I wait until I have two things to go down. Why waste energy? I no l
onger have children at home, so I never go upstairs to their bedrooms. I have less laundry, less cooking, less cleaning, less everything. We don't even have a dog to walk anymore (RIP Molly). Unless I make a conscious effort, I behave like a sloth.
EUREKA!! I found the answer to the problem--a pedometer. I've been strapping one on the past few weeks and voila--I want to take more steps.

Instead of conserving, I find myself looking for ways to "take the long cut" (as my son used to say). The goal: 10,000 steps a day. It works!!! You can pick one up at any store where they sell sporting goods, including Target, Walmart, K-Mart, etc.

5 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try a pedometer, just to see where I'm at step-wise. Question: do you count steps taken when working out in the 10,000?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, after almost thirty years and three children you're only up ten pounds? I'd say that's pretty awesome, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Sweetie. To answer your question, you can count your workout steps. It's pretty difficult to get 10,000 in otherwise. I wore the pedometer to work yesterday. I'm on my feet for 10 hours and walking most of the time. I had almost 4900 steps at the end of the day. That's only half of what we need to get. Your job is pretty active, too. Plus, you walk to work. I'd be curious to see how many you get in on a typical day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still look fabulous in your red sweater that you met dad in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, doll. I love my girls.

    ReplyDelete