Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Derby Pie Makeover


A friend gave me a recipe for Derby Pie a few years ago and it has become my "go to" dessert when I need something quick. I usually have a pie crust in the freezer (I haven't made one from scratch since home economics in 9th grade), and the other ingredients are always in my pantry.
If you look at the ingredients, Derby Pie isn't that bad for you, especially if you leave out the crust. (A typical 9" frozen pie crust has 650 calories and a whopping 42 grams of fat.) I don't really like pie crust all that much, so I decided to try baking it without it. With a little modification, it turned out great. I don't even miss it. Give it a try.

Derby Pie

6 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. coconut

Spray 9" pie tin with cooking spray. Cream butter, sugars, and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in flour, add chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut. Pour into pie tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream (low fat, of course).
If you want to use a pie crust, increase baking time to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment