Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday

I grew up in a neighborhood where most of the families were Catholic. We were Protestant. I remember listening to the kids at the bus stop talking about what they were giving up for Lent that particular year and I remember thinking, "I'm glad I'm not Catholic."

In recent years, I've begun to sacrifice something for the 40 days leading up to Easter. It's not because it's going to earn me Brownie points for when I get to heaven, but because it makes me more mindful everyday of Christ's sacrifice for me. Also, it seems easier to not cave in because of the reason I'm doing this.

I've been giving it some thought and I've finally decided on what I'm going to give up this year. Actually, this first one, I've given up for the past several years. I'm a little embarrassed to tell you what it is, but here goes. I'm giving up playing Sudoku on the Internet. Yes, I spend hours every year playing Sudoku. It's supposed to help keep your mind sharp, isn't it? (After my debacle Sunday morning, we know that isn't true.) So, I just played my last game for the next 40 days.

Also, this year I'm giving up (another embarrassing habit) eating chocolate chips out of the bag. I tend to go in streaks. I may not have any for a few weeks, and then I go crazy. So, I may bake with them, but I will not eat any that are "raw".
Since studies say it takes 21-30 days to break a habit, hopefully I will be free of these two addictions by Easter. But more importantly, it will make me more mindful of Jesus.

Sidenote: My husband grew up Catholic but hasn't really given up anything for Lent since I've known him, although he says he does. He tells me he's giving up what he's given up every year since the third grade--watching Batman on TV. (Even in third grade, he didn't really, truly give it up. He sat behind a chair in the living room and listened to it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment