Sunday, February 27, 2011

Extra Storage

When we built our house 17 years ago, I wanted a space in our laundry room where the kids could work on projects. So we had a counter put in with space to sit on a stool. As it turns out, the kids worked on their projects in the kitchen and we ended up putting the dog's bed under the counter in the laundry room.

Now the kids are grown and we had to put the dog down a couple of years ago, so we have this empty space. I decided I wanted to make it my gift wrapping station. My husband and I talked about putting some shelves in, but I know him. It would takes months for it to happen and I wanted to organize this area now. I decided to take matters into my own hands.

First, I measured the area--approximately 32" wide x 34" high x 24" deep. While I was at the grocery store (Meijers), I took a gander at the bookcases, storage units, etc. I found exactly what I was looking for and it measured 31 5/8" x 33" x 18". Perfect! It would fit with room to spare. I next went to the containers area. I found several baskets-both woven and cloth in different sizes and colors. I grabbed a few that I liked and brought them back to the bookcase area. I tried different baskets in the model and chose the ones that looked and fit best. All my husband had to do was put the unit together.

He came home from work that evening, and after dinner, even though he was tired, put my storage unit together. After about an hour, he had it finished and all he had to do was slide it in the empty space. That's when I heard him call my name. When I entered the laundry room, he had a perplexed look on his face. "It doesn't fit," he said. What? How can that be? I thought it would be a little small for the area. Oops. I didn't allow for the baseboard. Even if he took the baseboard out, the unit was still a smidge too big. My space was actually 31 1/2 inches wide, not 32 inches. (I guess approximate measurements don't work all the time.) Now what was I to do? I couldn't return the unit as it was already assembled with glue. Rats!

My saint of a husband thought about it and decided he could take it apart, cut down the shelves, and reconstruct it so it would fit. Of course, that defeated the whole purpose in my buying the thing. I didn't want him to have to do any work on it. Bless his heart. On Saturday, he worked his plan and I'm delighted with the results. I can now organize all my ribbons and gift wrapping supplies. Thanks, Sweetie. You're the best!!

1 comment: