Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Amazing Benefits of Blueberries


I love blueberries! I've been having a love affair with blueberries since I was a child, except for one particular day in the early sixties when I went picking with my mom and brothers. I couldn't resist eating them. They kept going into my mouth instead of my pail. I spent the rest of the day in the bathroom with intestinal distress. But even that couldn't dampen my affection for the little buggers. Even now, when blueberries are in season, my husband and I eat about ten pounds of blueberries every week.

Several years ago, new studies came out about all the health benefits of blueberries. They are the miracle berry and all you need is about a cup a day. They can do amazing things, such as:

Fight Aging (and who doesn't need that)
Improve Memory and Learning (I can tell it's winter and I haven't been eating as many)
Lower Cholesterol
Improve Vision
Prevent Macular Degeneration
Improve Brain Function
Prevent and Fight Cancer
Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
Aid In Weight Loss
Act as a Sleep Aid
Fight Osteoporosis

I always freeze some blueberries. I just pour them into Ziplock bags straight from the box and put them in the freezer. I rinse them just before I use them. They are great in baked goods. Here's one of my favorite recipes that is low cal and low fat.

Blueberry Crisp

3 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour

Combine blueberries and lemon juice in a pie plate. (I usually sprinkle a little Splenda over the blueberries because my husband complains it's a little tart.) Combine butter, sugar and flour until mixture is crumbly.

Sprinkle mixture over blueberries. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment