Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pothole Paranoia



Winters in West Michigan can be a challenge. We tend to get a lot of snow due to the effects of Lake Michigan. This can be a blessing if one enjoys outdoor winter sports, but shoveling or blowing snow off the driveway gets tiring. Also, we can have temperatures above freezing during the day, and near zero at night. The thawing and refreezing makes the roads around town a nightmare to drive on.


One of the roads on my route to work is full of potholes. Last year, it made the list of "Worst Roads in the State of Michigan". I feel like I'm driving in a war zone. I still can't believe I haven't had a closed head injury due to all the jarring I've incurred. I never drive through a small puddle, because it could be a sink hole in disguise.


As the winter wears on, I learn where the worst potholes are and know to avoid them, but news ones are always appearing. It never fails, at some point during the winter, I hit one full on. And since I'm usually running late, the speed at which I hit them is not slow. I always have to have the alignment on my car adjusted every spring, but thankfully, I've never blown a tire. Who knows, maybe all this is preparing me for a new career. When I retire from cardiac rehab, I could get a job as a NASCAR driver... or a pizza delivery person.

No comments:

Post a Comment