Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Not Your Ordinary Oatmeal


Oatmeal for breakfast has been my M.O. for years. I add a little soy protein powder and soy milk, along with fruit and walnuts. Then I have a complete meal--carbohydrate, protein, and heart-healthy fat. I've used Quaker Oats for all my life but recently decided to try something different. I first bought some Irish oatmeal, but it has a flavor that I really don't care for (no offense to my Irish mother-in-law). I then purchased steel cut oats and I love them.


The only downside is cooking time. They need to cook for an hour. On days that I workout for an hour, I put them in an oven safe bowl and bake the oatmeal in the oven. When I finish my workout, the oatmeal is ready.


You can also cook it in a slow cooker overnight. (It's a little more clean up but a convenient option.) It's really worth the extra effort to make the steel cut oats. It's so good.
Warning: Don't forget to add 6 parts water to one part oatmeal, otherwise the oatmeal comes out really thick and not quite done.

Baked Oatmeal

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 1/2 c. water

Place in oven safe bowl. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Top with chopped apples, blueberries, and/or walnuts.
Makes 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment