Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day



I have always loved Valentine's Day. In grade school, I would painstakingly make out my Valentine's for the kids in my class, giving the biggest ones to my best friends and whatever boy I had a crush on. There was always one for the teacher and then the decision of which ones to give to the boys who had cooties. Valentine woes.

My most memorable Valentine's Day, however, was 1981. I was living in Ann Arbor (Michigan) at the time, and Katie, my friend from college, was having a party. Her boyfriend, Joe, invited his new neighbor. I remember walking into Katie's apartment and seeing the neighbor standing in the living room. I strolled over (more like made a beeline over), introduced myself, and started up a conversation. He asked me out for the following Tuesday.
We were engaged by August and got married the following March. It was 30 years ago today that we met and as I write this, I am wearing the sweater that I wore on our first date.

The Sweater

I feel like it was yesterday and, yet, here we are with our children raised and an empty nest. It's been a great adventure.

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment