Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tolerable Treadmill Workout

I loathe running on the treadmill.  Monotonous and so boring.  So today, I decided to do something different.  I did intervals, which totally made a difference with the boredom factor.  And bonus--interval training is great for improving aerobic capacity and speed.  I ran for four minutes at a faster than normal pace (a 17-18 on the Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion scale) and walked for two minutes at a moderate pace (about 3.8-4.0 mph).  I repeated that nine times for a total of 60 minutes.

Of course, I still needed a diversion to make the time go faster.  So I did this workout while watching the Michigan Wolverines obliterate the Nebraska Cornhuskers.  The only real difficulty was singing the Michigan fight song while running, but I managed.  I even did the fist thrust during "Hail, Hail to Michigan...".  It turned out to be a great workout.


Workout Summary
Treadmill time: 62 minutes
Distance: 6.2 miles
Calories burned:  639
Maximum heart rate: 184 bpm
Weight training: 40 minutes

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a great workout!!! Don't know what the Borg scale is though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy named Gunnar Borg came up with this scale to rate how hard you feel like you're working. The scale ranges from 6-20. At a level 6, you're sitting and not exerting any effort. At a level 20, you're going at an all-out pace, you can go no faster or harder. Borg used 6-20 because if you add a zero to the number, it corresponds to your heart rate (for a normal, healthy, young person). If you're sitting, your HR is close to 60, if you're going all-out, your HR is close to 200. Using the Borg scale is a nice way to workout and not have to stop and count your heart rate. If you exercise at a point where it feels "somewhat hard" (level 13-15), you most likely are in your workout range (55 - 85% of maximum heart rate).

    To figure out your workout range, use the following formula:

    220 - age = Maximum HR
    Multiply that number by .55 and .85 to get the range your HR should be for a good aerobic workout.

    Example: For me 220 - 54 = 166
    166 x .55 = 91
    166 x .85 = 141
    My HR should be 91-141 beats per minute during an aerobic workout.

    This is just an estimate. Everyone is different. When I was running on the treadmill, I got my HR up to 184 and I wasn't going all-out. The only way to know your true maximum HR is by doing a stress test (graded exercise test). If you're over 45, you should have a physician present. I hope that answers your question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to put in that Nebraska lost, huh?? I love doing interval training on a treadmill too, I have a hard time doing it outside. The timer and or odometer keep me on track with the intervals!

    ReplyDelete