Sunday, November 13, 2011

Real Hula Hoops

I did a blog post last spring about hula hooping.  I had purchased a child's hula hoop and it worked fine.  Since then, we had a weight management group move into our building at work and they brought some heavy duty adult hula hoops with them.  I tried them out and they are the real deal.  They are heavier and much larger in diameter.  Ideally, a hula hoop should come between your waist and chest when it's standing on end.  The child's hoop that I was using only came up to the middle of my thighs.

I asked my co-workers where they purchased their hula hoops and found out that a local woman makes them.  She charges $45.00.  I thought that was a bit extreme (my Dutch heritage coming out), so I decided to make one for myself.  I went to Home Depot Friday evening and bought the supplies.  Forty five minutes and ~$14.00 later, I had my own real adult hula hoop.

Supplies:  1-inch irrigation tubing (you'll need about 10 - 12 feet)
                Insert coupling
                Hot water pipe insulation
                Duct and/or electrical tape

I used plain old gray duct tape for my prototype.  Next time I'll use colored duct tape.

$45 Hula Hoop 


$14 Hula Hoop

My core will never know the difference.

For hula hoop exercises, see post from 5/19/11.

1 comment: