Thursday, November 17, 2011

Guilt-Free Pumpkin Dessert

Since I decided to join the HEART Center team for "Holding it Through the Holidays", and have to weigh in every week between now and New Year's, I thought I'd better pull out some low fat recipes.


Here's one for a pumpkin ice cream dessert.  When I first made this (back in the stone age), I don't believe I had ever seen pumpkin ice cream in the store.  Well, now they have it.  But I haven't seen low-fat pumpkin ice cream, so maybe my recipe isn't obsolete.

I whipped this up last night.  The beauty of this recipe is you can make it days ahead of the holiday and throw it in the freezer until you need it.  It's really quite scrumptious, aside from the brain freeze I always get from inhaling eating it too quickly.

Guilt-Free Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie

Filling:
1/3 cup honey
1    cup canned pumpkin
1    teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 quarts fat-free vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Crust:
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

Mix crust ingredients together.  Press into 9-inch pie pan.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Cool


For filling, combine the honey, pumpkin, spice, and salt in a saucepan and mix well.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Cool completely


Add pumpkin mixture to the ice cream and mix well.  Spoon into the pie shell.  Sprinkle with the pecans.  Freeze until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment