Saturday, October 29, 2011

When Not to Brush Your Teeth

I recently had to teach a class on the complications of diabetes and in doing research for it, found out something that I had never heard before.  It's been life changing.

When we eat acidic foods, it softens the enamel on our teeth.  And if we brush our teeth right after we eat, we can damage the enamel.  It is recommended that we wait 40-60 minutes to brush after eating.

For years, I've thought it was best to brush as soon as possible after noshing.  Doesn't it prevent cavities?  After all this time, I'm shocked to find out my mother was wrong.

On the positive side, I no longer take a swig of chocolate soy milk or have a bite of something before getting ready for bed.  I'm eliminating who knows how many calories from my diet because I don't want to have to stay up for another hour to wait to brush.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment