Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Great Old/New Recipe

This past week, I was going through some old recipes I had torn out of magazines but had never tried, and I came across this one.  Now mind you, this came out of Bon Appetit, the RSVP section, in June 1993.  That means it survived two moves (we moved into a rental home in 1994, while building our current home).  I'm so glad it came with us, because both my husband and I made multiple yummy sounds while eating this.


Chicken with Roasted Garlic, Mushrooms and Spinach

4 servings

1 large head garlic, cloves separated (unpeeled)
3 tablespoons olive oil

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
All purpose flour

1/2 pound button or stemmed shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup dry white wine
1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place garlic on small baking pan.  Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil over; toss to coat.  Bake until soft, about 20 minutes.  Cool garlic.  Press garlic between fingertips to release from peel.  Transfer garlic to bowl.  (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Roasted Garlic

Using meat mallet or rolling pin, pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to thickness of 1/2 inch.  Coat chicken with flour; shake off excess.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and saute until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.  Transfer chicken to plates.  Tent with foil to keep warm.  Add mushrooms to skillet and saute 4 minutes.  Add wine to skillet and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.  Add tomatoes, spinach, rosemary, and roasted garlic and saute until spinach wilts, about 3 minutes.  Add butter and mix just until melted. Spoon mixture over chicken and serve.

Changes
Since fresh tomatoes are out of season, I used canned.  I reduced the wine due to the juice in the tomatoes.  I also cut the butter in half just to reduce the fat and calories.  It doesn't look like anything special at first glance, but this was so good.  It must be the butter and roasted garlic.

I ended up wearing this recipe on my shirt.  I need an apron.

No comments:

Post a Comment