Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Memory Lapse

We are in the middle of a gorgeous weather pattern.  After a week of off and on rain, the clouds have finally cleared out and we are experiencing clear blue skies with temps in the 60's.  So after hitting the Farmers' Market this morning, I decided to go for a run.  I'm tired of my usual route, so I opted to run out to Lake Michigan.  It's been a few years since I've run out there and I had forgotten exactly how far it is.  I was thinking it was 10 miles from the house.  That was more than I wanted to bite off, so I decided to drive and park a couple of miles from home to lessen the distance by four miles.

It was so nice outside and the route was bringing back lots of memories.  For starters, I ran past the elementary school my children went to.  It seems like eons since the kids were there.  (About a year ago, a study was done on the quality of air on playgrounds in the Muskegon area.  Lincoln Park Elementary had the worst due to the foundries that are a couple of blocks away.  I hope my kids don't end up with COPD some day.)


My favorite part of the route is along the lakes.  There is a bike path along Muskegon Lake.  It's wide and shady with a great view.


I stopped to take a picture of this Buster Keaton sign.  I've never stopped to read it before today.  It doesn't say a whole lot, so I had to "google" it.  As it turns out, Buster Keaton's parents had a home near the lake when he was growing up.  They spent their summers in Muskegon every year.  Who knew?  I've lived here most of my life and never knew that until now.


First glimpse of Lake Michigan

You know it's the end of summer when the fences go up on the beach.
They help keep the sand from blowing too much.

Lake Michigan is beautiful to run along, of course.  There are houses across the street from the beach.  The only negative about living there would be that, between the snow and the sand, you'd have to shovel year round.


Only a few boats were out this late in the season. 

This boardwalk was built about 10 years ago. 

 Heading Inland

Muskegon Country Club

I knew when I looked down at my watch at this point and had been running for 65 minutes, that I had remembered the distance to the lake incorrectly.  Oops.  Oh well, I was glad to get in a little longer workout.  I clocked my run with the car afterwards and it ended up 8.4 miles.  I ran it in just over 84 minutes, which I was pleased with.  Tomorrow, I will probably be a bit sore, but it feels good in that I know I stretched myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment