Monday, October 17, 2011

Must Have Kitchen Gadgets: Part 5


A strawberry slicer.  It sounds like something you can't live without--at least that's what I thought when I saw this little number on the shelf at Williams Sonoma.  My oldest daughter was with me and gently reminded me that if I had it, I wouldn't be able to plop the last strawberry slice in my mouth.  I have a habit of doing that when I manually slice strawberries.  The last slice of every strawberry ends up in my trap and down the hatch before I know what's happened.  I just can't help myself.  And the last time my girls were both home, I noticed them chuckling about it while I was slicing strawberries.  (I didn't realize anyone had ever noticed.)  Anyway, I put aside her advice and purchased the slicer.  After all, this might help me break that nasty little habit.

I was less than thrilled with the strawberry slicer.  It seemed to smoosh the strawberries.  Plus, unless you have them aimed into a large bowl, they seem to fly all over.  To me, it seemed easier to slice them by hand.  Rats!  Another useless gadget to sit unused in my cupboard.

But wait!  Last night, I decided to try it with mushrooms and it works like a charm.  I love it.  It's much easier than trying to hold onto the mushroom, especially for those last few slices.  Just cut off the stem and pop it in.  Voila!  Nice evenly sliced mushrooms in a nanosecond. 



I'm sure there are other things I can use this on, although at the moment, I can't think of a thing.  Oh well, there's nothing like a great mushroom slicer.



No comments:

Post a Comment