Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spectator Sports Day


I know I talk about Lake Michigan a lot, but I can't help it.  It's such a great lake!  Today, the winds were blowing at 25-35 mph with gusts over 40 mph.  We could hear the roar of the waves at our house, which is about a mile from the lake, as the crow flies.  There were gale warnings out, so during half time of the Michigan/Michigan State game, I talked my husband and our friends into riding down to see the waves.

When the waves are high, the whole town drives out to see them.  It's bumper to bumper through Pere Marquette Park.  (We enjoy simple pleasures here in West Michigan.  Actually, it's just that there isn't a lot to do when the weather turns colder.)  There were kite surfers out in the water (in wet suits at this time of the year).  I love to watch them.  It looks like so much fun, but there is no way I could ever do it.  Besides the fact that my balance is poor and I would never be able to stand up on the thing, I'm a chicken when it comes to catching air.  

(I have to confess.  I didn't take this picture.  I had forgotten my camera, so this is from the internet.  It was taken at Pere Marquette Park, though.)

Later in the afternoon, we walked out to the lake from our house.  It always amazes me how much erosion takes place when the lake is rough.  The beach was probably 20 feet smaller than it was a week ago.  As our children's eight grade science teacher always said, "Water always wins."




Now it's off to more spectator sports.  Baseball--GO TIGERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment