Thursday, September 8, 2011

That's Just Peachy


It's the height of peach season in Michigan.  I love the Red Haven and Canadian Harmony varieties, which are both freestones (they easily come away from the pit).  An average peach has only 35 juicy calories where a nectarine has 70.  Peaches are a good source of potassium and have 20% of the RDA for Vitamins A and C.  I love to put them in yogurt or on top of cereal.

One of the farmers at the market told me that the best way to keep them is in the refrigerator.  Take two or three out at a time and place them in a paper bag for one to two days to ripen.  It works great.  For years I had been doing just the opposite--ripen first and them put them in the fridge.  (It took a man to set me straight.)  Unfortunately, the season doesn't last long.  Better get some now!

No comments:

Post a Comment