Monday, September 19, 2011

Dancing With a Star


When I think of autumn, I think of apples, especially living in West Michigan.  Over the years my favorite apple has gone from Granny Smith, to Mutsu, to Honey Crisp, to my new favorite---SweeTango.  One of my coworkers brought them in to work last week and I was immediately addicted.  (They must have something in them that is illegal.)

This past weekend, my daughter and I  drove about 40 miles north to an orchard that sells them.  At their market, they had samples for tasting.  So I did a taste test between a Honeycrisp, a Zestar, and a SweeTango.  There is no comparison.   The SweeTango is crisp, juicy, sweet, and tangy.  They make a Honeycrisp taste bland.

They were developed by the University of Minnesota and first came out 2 years ago.  They are a cross between a Honeycrisp and a Zestar.  The orchards that are allowed to grow it are tightly controlled and so they are not easy to come by.

I hope you can find them where you live.  The only caveat--once you have tasted this apple, you will never want another variety.  If only they could help me dance better.

No comments:

Post a Comment