Sunday, August 21, 2011

Proud To Be a Hoosier-In-Law

My husband grew up in Indianapolis and with his parents and older brother (and family) still there, we make several trips a year to Indiana.  This weekend, we coupled our visit with a trip to the Indiana State Fair.  (Of course, the fair has been in the news due to the tragedy last weekend before the Sugarland concert.  Our hearts go out to the families of those who were injured or killed in that tragic accident.)  If you have never been to the fair, it is definitely one you should go to if you want a slice of Americana.  I apologize to those who aren't interested because it's going to take a few posts to cover all the fun we had. 


To avoid the parking hassles, we parked several miles away and took the free shuttle to the fair.
 My daughter, Anne (in the hat), and my niece, Sophie (back seat with the headband) 
with her friends on the shuttle bus.


 My sister-in-law, Laura and Anne
with the Mercedes Benz of tractors.

 Annie dwarfed by Indiana corn.


 The theme this year was the soy bean.
This shuttle was fueled by soy biodiesel.

 Tackle the rides before sampling the deep-fried food.

 A section of the Berlin wall in the German exhibit

 There's nothing like a little corn dipped in butter.

 Gotta love the cowhide garbage cans

One of the many bands warming up.

There is so much to see and do (and smell) at the fair.  Between the food, the farm animals, the crafts, and people, it's hard to take it all in in one day, although I did my best with the food.  After this weekend, I may as well check in to the HEART Center and become a patient with my patients.  More to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment