Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Post-Workout Recovery Drink


On my days off, I like to do a longer workout which usually consists of an hour of weight training and 30+ minutes of aerobic training.  I'm usually hungry by the time I finish and head for the kitchen.  My favorite thing to grab for a quick fix is chocolate soy milk.

I recently read an article that validated my choice. A study was done on recovery drinks by Physiologist Joel Stager at Indiana University (my husband's alma mater).  He says the perfect recovery drink after a long workout is chocolate milk.  It has double the carbohydrate and protein content than most sports drinks and is perfect for replenishing tired muscles.  Its high water content replaces fluids lost while sweating and it has calcium, sodium and sugar which helps an athlete retain water and regain energy.  While water is okay to replenish fluids, it has no nutritional value.  Chocolate milk is so much more.

Be sure to assess your workout level before you indulge.  Chocolate milk is most helpful for high endurance levels of exercise.  If you are only exercising for 60 minutes or less, you probably don't need it.  Also, choose the low-fat variety over whole milk.  It has the same nutritional content minus the fat.  And one more thing, cow's milk has more protein than soy milk and thus, is probably a better choice.  (I just like soy milk as it helps with menopause symptoms.)

 Need a little motivation to work out longer?  Now you've got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment