Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Must Have Kitchen Gadgets: Part 2


The microplane herb mill.  I love this gadget.  My daughter gave this to me for my birthday and it's amazing.  It's awesome for most herbs.  You just stuff your herbs into the base, put the top on and twist it back and forth.  Out comes your perfectly minced herbs.  However, I think I prefer to cut my basil with scissors as the mill seems to crush the basil. It's available at Williams Sonoma for $19.95.



A patient brought me a head of cauliflower one day.  Since my husband hates cauliflower, I had to find a new recipe that he might at least try.  I found this on allrecipes.com.  (The large amount of garlic masks the smell of cooking cauliflower.)  His reaction when he saw it on his plate was a turned up nose.  Then he took a taste and said, "Not bad."  Translated - it's pretty darn good.

That minced parsley looks amazing.

Roasted Cauliflower

2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Grease a large casserole dish.
Place the olive oil and garlic in a large ziplock bag.  Add cauliflower and shake to mix.
Pour into the casserole dish.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and broil for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment