Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Kind of Town

Chicago is...that song has been going through my head since we got on the skyway yesterday.


We headed down to Chi-town for my niece's graduation party.  They actually live north of the city in Lake Forest.
We could see the black smoke coming from this car for miles.

The oncoming traffic was backed up at least to Wisconsin.

The Sears Tower 
(I know it has a new name, but it'll always be the Sears Tower to me).

U.S. Cellular Field
Home of the White Sox

We always have a great time when we visit them.  My husband's other brother and wife , as well as his parents, were also in town.  Barb (my sister-in-law) always has great food, so much so that I can't wait to see what she's going to serve.  Of course, she didn't disappoint.  Fajitas were on the menu.

Our awesome host and hostess

My daughter, Annie and son-in-law Jason
I'm obviously not the only one to get excited about Barb's food.


She had the greatest little appetizer.  Fresh mozzarella, basil and a cherry tomato (brushed with a little olive oil) on a skewer. Yum!
My sister-in-law, Laura, with that yummy appetizer

It was great to catch up with my nephew, Andrew, who will be a senior at U of M (Michigan) this coming year. He is such a great guy.  (When Barb had Jack, their youngest, I went to stay with them for a week.  I would get up with Andrew, who was 7 at the time, and get him off to school.  Everyday when he left the house, he would say, "Tell Mom I love her."  He melted my heart.)

Uncle Mike imparting his wisdom on Andrew

Caroline, the graduate, is heading off to Indiana University in the fall.  I still see her as this four year old little girl.  She was my buddy when I stayed with them after Jack's birth.  She would go with me to the grocery store and help me make dinner.   At one point during the week, I took her and Andrew to the store to pick out gifts for their dad's birthday.  Caroline got him some candy, including a gumball.  The gumball was orange when it came out of the machine, but by the time she gave it to him, it was white with a few nibbles taken out.  Being the great dad that he is, Ron put it in his mouth when she gave it to him, and made yummy sounds.
Sweet Caroline

 My husband's parents

Ron, Barb, Andrew, Caroline, and Jack
Jack once told my husband, "Uncle Mike, you're my favorite cousin." 

I love being with my husband's family.  We always have so much fun.  The three brothers can get a little crazy when they're together.  I can't wait until August when we hook up for the Indiana State Fair.  Bring on the deep-fried Snickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment