Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Energy Bars


These bars are great and a real satiater (I don't think that's actually a word, but these bars really stick with you).  My husband loves them and he usually doesn't like anything that smells of "healthy".  You can whip these up in 30 minutes (including baking time).  I put most of them in the freezer and pull one out when I get the urge.

Oatmeal Energy Bars

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup fat-free sweetened, condensed milk
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut butter into brown sugar with a pastry blender until crumbly.  Stir in oats and next 5 ingredients.
Combine egg whites, peanut butter, and condensed milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth.  Add egg mixture to oats, and stir well.
Press mixture into a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; cool completely.  Cut into 28 bars.

Calories:  130, Saturated Fat: 1g,  Dietary Fiber: 2g, Carbohydrates:  22.5g, Protein:  3.5g


Side note:  While I was making these, I found a couple of things in the refrigerator that had expired.  I know I've cleaned out the fridge in the past 6 months.  How did I miss these things--especially the sunflower seeds that expired in 2002!  Hoarders is going to be knocking on my door if they get hold of this.




No comments:

Post a Comment