Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Memories


Decorating the Christmas tree is more than just hanging ornaments. It's a walk down memory lane, reminiscing about the years since my husband and I have been married. Of course, we have a "First Christmas Together", as well as, three "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments. My favorites are the handmade ornaments my children made when they were in elementary and preschool. The sequins have since fallen off the felt Christmas trees and bells, but I still hang them up.

We also have ornaments from vacations--a painted egg from Salzburg, Austria, an ornament from a White House tour, a painted glass ball from Sunriver, Oregon, and so on.

I have the ornaments my sister-in-law had my nieces pick out for me when they were toddlers--Kim picked an angel and Lindsay chose Kermit the frog.


My most recent "memory" ornament is the paw print of our little Border Terrier, Molly. The impression was made when we had her put down. Even though it makes me sad to hang it, it also brings back the great memories I have of her.


I always feel nostalgic when decorating the tree. I wish for those days when the kids were young and at home. When I was a child, I counted down the days until Christmas. Now I count down the days until my children are all home.

No comments:

Post a Comment