Monday, December 20, 2010

Budget Friendly Home Gym: Part 4



The Bosu Ball

The Bosu ball is a great addition to any workout routine. It improves core stabilization and therefore balance. Just standing on it and trying to balance makes you engage a myriad of muscles. You can use it right side up or up side down. You can purchase a Bosu ball for about $100 at most sporting good stores or, of course, you can get it online. It comes with a DVD of four different workouts that are as challenging as you want to make them.

As I have aged, my balance has deteriorated. The Bosu ball is helping me to improve. I know this sounds like an elderly person talking, but as our balance gets worse, we're more prone to falls. With the Bosu ball, I can postpone getting my "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" button.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about balance and many people wait until their too old to do anything about it! I had a trainer teach me my favorite exercise EVER on a bosu ball. It's with the blue side up, front leg on the middle of the ball and back leg about 12" back. Standing lunge with a balance twist! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'll have to try that exercise Kim! Mom, if you have any other ones, post pics or descriptions and I'll try them at my gym! I totally forgot the moves I liked when I was home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try standing on the middle of the ball and lunge to the side. Repeat 4 x on one side before repeating on the other side. This is one set. Do 3 sets. This will not only work your lower body but will also get your heart rate up.

    ReplyDelete