Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Moving is Not For Sissies

Packing--it never ends. I had been packing since we sold our house in April and thought I was making good headway--until last Friday. Our plan was to be done and on our way to Charlotte by lunchtime. We were still packing at 9:00 p.m.

My hubby and brother moving the moose (minus one antler).

This is difficult to see, but a man on a scooter
 (the scout) came by and called a guy in a van to come 
check out our garbage.  Apparently, there were some "treasures". 


By this time, we were bone tired (we had started at 5 a.m.), so we decided to get on the road, even though we weren't finished.  (I'm flying back when the movers come and will finish packing then.  So, of course, all I can think about is what I have left to do and how I'm going to accomplish it in less than 48 hours.)

The trip down to Charlotte was long, but good. We spent Friday night in Ann Arbor. We drove through town and waved goodbye to the "Big House"--no more fall Saturdays cheering on the Wolverines with 110,000 like-minded fans. Saturday morning, we got a not-so-early start and drove to Columbus, where we had lunch with our friends, Toni and Jeff.

Toni would want you to know she didn't 
have power and couldn't do her hair.
Toni was our Katie's kindergarten teacher
and we've been friends ever since.

Three hours later, we were back on the road. Our original plan had been to have dinner in Columbus on Friday evening and press on for a few more hours. On Saturday, we realized that God had delayed us for a good reason. Ohio had been hit by terrible storms Friday evening and thousands were without power, including Toni and Jeff. We saw trees down and debris along the highways from Ohio to Virginia. As a result, the lines at gas stations in southern Ohio and West Virgina were horrendous. Unfortunately, they were hit with more storms on Saturday evening. I can't believe we never had a drop of rain the whole trip. We were blessed with perfect travel weather.

Crossing the Ohio River

We finally pulled into Charlotte around 1:30 a.m. Before we could fall into bed, we had to go to the airport to pick up Mike's car where he had left the keys to the apartment he's been living in.

Upon arrival to the apartment, I realized that in one month of living on his own, my husband had gone feral.  The toilet was so filthy, I had to clean it before I could use it.  That was my first "eww" moment.  I've had many more in the light of day.  Thankfully, someone invented cleaning products and sanitizers.  Welcome to Charlotte.  

No comments:

Post a Comment