Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sodium Shocker


I started my food log yesterday and decided to keep track of the sodium I consume.  Since I work with cardiac patients, I discuss sodium consumption frequently.  The new guideline for sodium is less than 1500 mg a day for people with heart disease, diabetes, and ANYONE OVER THE AGE OF 50.  Ahem...that includes yours truly.

I have always thought I do pretty well when it comes to limiting my sodium intake.  I may add a little salt to my food at dinner, but that's it.  I've lectured my patients about cutting back, all the while thinking I set a good example of not eating a lot of salt...that is until yesterday.  Thanks to myfitnesspal.com, I about fell off my chair last night.  My total sodium consumption for yesterday was 3419mg.  And that doesn't include the little pinch I put on my egg whites at breakfast.  Praise God I don't have blood pressure or kidney problems.  I'd be six feet under if I did.

In looking over the foods I ate yesterday, the biggest culprits for sodium content were the deli turkey I had on my salad for lunch (600 mg) and the pork tenderloin marinade (with soy sauce) we had for dinner (550 mg).  Almost everything I ate yesterday had salt--even the romaine lettuce (4 mg).  Who woulda thunk?  I'm not sure where I'll make cuts yet, but I definitely need to do something. Right now, 1500 mg. seems like an impossible goal.  The best I can do is try.

For now, no more smug lectures for my patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment