Saturday, November 27, 2010

Passing of the Baton



Two weeks ago, my mother decided she was done hosting Thanksgiving. It was time for the next generation to take over. Since I am the only daughter (a position I loved as a little girl), the baton was being passed to me. Thankfully, I love to spend time in the kitchen, searching out new recipes and experimenting with different herbs and spices. Yes, I was ready to take on the challenge. Also, I have a secret weapon--my son.

Dave not only loves to cook, but he's very good at it. While he was in the Coast Guard, he spent several months in cooking school. As a result, he handles a knife with the elegance of a samurai. He also knows how to make gravy, which is something I never do and am still confused about, even though I've read several "how-to-make-gravy" tutorials. After several phone conversations (he is in law school at Villanova and lives in Philly), we had our menu nailed down.
Thanksgiving Day Menu

Romaine with Pears, Walnuts, Blue Cheese and Cranberry Dressing
Cranberry Sauce
Roast Turkey
Dave's Incredible Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
Rolls
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust

I decided to skip the sweet potatoes and a vegetable. I've learned from my sister-in-law that you don't have to have a gazillion dishes when entertaining. As it was, everyone was stuffed to the point of loosening our belt buckles.
We had so much fun preparing everything. Our daughter, Anne, and Dave's girlfriend, Danielle, helped out. It was definitely a group effort. (The only thing that would have made it better is if our youngest, Katie, had been home, too.) The meal turned out delicious. The company was even better. I am truly blessed to have a such a wonderful family.





No comments:

Post a Comment