Sunday, August 19, 2012

Southern Food

I love to cook, but for some reason, I felt like going out this weekend.  Friday evening, we tried an Italian restaurant within walking distance of our house.  It was okay, but didn't make me emit yummy sounds.  Saturday evening, we tried an "Asian fusion" (or so it said on the outside) restaurant, but it turned out to be traditional Chinese food.  We should have known when we walked in the door and the place was virtually empty that it was a sign to turn and run.  But we didn't listen to our inner instincts and were batting 0-2 for good restaurants.

But fear not--we hit it big today.  After church this morning (a dynamic sermon, by the way--go to www.foresthill.org--today's message should be posted soon), we decided to go to a restaurant called The Flying Biscuit.  Oh my!  I can feel my coronary arteries clogging up already.


For any southerners reading this, you may want to sit down, as I'm sure you can't imagine that this is true but...here goes.  I have never had grits before.  Shocking, but true.  They look like Cream of Wheat to me, and I can't say I'm a big fan.  My husband ordered them with his Mexican breakfast wrap and I tried a bite--which turned into 2, then 3, then 4.  I was expecting something grainy and sweet, and these were savory and creamy.  I asked the waiter how they prepared them and he mentioned three words: cream, cheese, and butter.  Yikes!  No wonder they're so good.


Thankfully, I ordered the Hollywood Omelet which was made with egg whites, mushrooms, spinach, and tomato coulis with a small bowl of fruit, instead of grits.


Did I mention the white cheddar cheese in the omelet and the lard laden biscuit on the side?  It was heavenly! Speaking of heaven, I may be there sooner than I think as I feel like I've been having angina since we walked out the door.

 A happy customer!

On the positive side, grits and biscuits may be my job security.

No comments:

Post a Comment