Thursday, April 15, 2010

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

My earliest memory of a hair appliance was a hair dryer my mom had. It had a big cap (like a shower cap) that you put on your head (over your roller or pin curl set hair). It had a hose connected to it, that also connected to a box-like appliance, which blew hot air through the hose into the cap. We're talking the early to mid sixties here.In 7th or 8th grade, I would sleep with 2-3 inch rollers in my hair. I'm not quite sure how I got any rest, but if you wanted to look good, you had to pay the price. About that time came the advent of electric rollers. My world would never be the same. I used those throughout high school.

After I had my senior pictures taken, I got my haircut (about 12-14 inches cut off) and entered the world of curling irons. This was my M.O. until 1993. That year I had a makeover. My new hair stylist showed me how to blow dry my hair with a round brush and I have been free of any appliances (with the exception of a blow dryer) ever since. It has been so nice to not have to pack anything besides products for my hair.

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever. My daughter was home last weekend and she gently planted the seed that maybe I should try a flat iron. "Why?" I asked. Little did I know that she had a talk with my hair stylist, Stefanie (also my niece). When I went in for my haircut on Tuesday, Stef, not so gently, told me I needed to start using a flatiron. We had an inservice, she gave me her old iron, and here I am, imprisoned again. I have used it two times now and it is getting a bit easier. So, here is the result. I'm still in the learning process, but so far I'm liking the results.

4 comments:

  1. Not imprisioned, more like liberated into gorgeous hair! Gotta love Steph. ;)

    Looks great! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete